Saturday, January 15, 2011

Resourceful

One of the many character qualities I hope for my kids to develop is resourcefulness. The definition of resourceful is "the ability to deal skillfully and promptly with new situations or difficulties."

I hope that when a problem arises, they they learn to quickly and effectively look for a solution. Whether that be in a friendship or problem at school, or even as simple as learning to whip up a meal for themselves using whatever ingredients they have on hand. I hope that they "see the glass as half full" in life, and are able to tackle the bumps in the road along the way.

This week I saw a bit of resourcefulness in my Leah Bee when she came to me with a Barbie in hand saying that she had nothing for her to wear to a ball. Apparently we have more Barbies than appropriate ball attire for them to wear.

My suggestion to her? Try to make your own ball gown. So she did. She tried to make one out of paper first, but it was too stiff and just didn't look right. Then she discovered coffee filters. She cut and taped and fiddled with the soft filters until she had fashioned the perfect Barbie party dress. She was so proud of herself too! I think that girl just may be developing some resourceful qualities indeed.


No comments: