Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Case of the Missing Forks

No, this is not the title of a new Nancy Drew book, but rather a real life mystery playing out in our very own home. Over the 11.5 years that Mike and I have been married, we have acquired two different sets of silverware. One set (my favorite) was the set we registered for way back when we were engaged. The other set we purchased somewhere around year 5 or 6 of our married life when we saw it on clearance at Target one day. With both sets combined we used to have plenty of knives, spoons and forks. Bring on the dinner parties, the family meals, the holiday spreads-- we had silverware a plenty!

But somewhere along the way, the forks have been disappearing. Their numbers have been steadily dwindling until now before every meal, we have to go searching for the few that we have left. First I look in the drawer, but inevitably the fork spots are empty. Then I have to search through the sink or dishwasher and wash them so that we can eat our meal. And having guests over? That's another story. Usually someone ends up using a spoon. It is pathetic really.

So where have the forks gone, you ask? That is the million dollar question. I. Don't. Know. Did we accidentally scrape a few into the trash while clearing off some dirty plates? Did Lucas get a hold of a few and stash them in an obscure place? Did they sprout legs and just run away? Was it Colonel Mustard in the study with the revolver? The situation keeps me up at night (not really). It is quite annoying though.

I guess I will just have to go buy some more. Until then, if any of you come eat at our house be prepared to use a spoon. Or perhaps we'll just switch to plastic silverware instead.

1 comment:

k_stin said...

I, too, have a missing fork. I only have 4 of every utensil, but only 3 forks. I think maybe I threw it away maybe once in one of those styrofoam take-out boxes or something. I don't really know, but that's my theory.

As for your missing forks, perhaps you should look into the Barbie murders/mysteries and see if there is a relationship between the various crimes?