Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Quiet House


Today something amazing happened. It was around 4:00 this afternoon when every single person in my house was still and quiet. It started with Lucas taking a very long afternoon nap. He's currently got his first ear infection/cold and has been feeling miserable lately. He fell asleep shortly after lunch and was out for the next five hours straight. The girls had their five year well check yesterday (more on that tomorrow) and were both running low fevers and feeling slightly under the weather. They were busy playing games on our computer when I decided to stop what I was doing, grab a blanket and curl up on the couch to rest for a few minutes. My eyelids slowly got very heavy and then I heard the little pitter patter of feet coming my way. It was Hannah.

"I'm tired," she said. "Can I snuggle with you?"

So she curled up under the blanket, stuck her feet between my legs (something she's always done) and soon I could hear the rhythmic sound of her sleepy breathing. A few minutes after that Leah came shuffling in to the living room.

"I want to snuggle too."

So she crawled up on the couch with us. Soon she was fast asleep as well. And for the next thirty minutes, there was not a sound in my house. No toys, no television, no computer games, no nothing. Just the peaceful silence of a quiet house.

2 comments:

Tandamaguire said...

That is the best! So happy you got somw quiet snuggle time with your girls. Hope everyone is feeling better today.

affectioknit said...

Awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your family - I hope Lucas feels better soon!