Friday, December 11, 2009

Favorite Christmas Songs:: Non-Traditional

Again, there are just so many to pick from. But with a lot of careful thinking, here are my top five:

5. "Last Christmas" by Wham!-- I know, I know, this song is so cheesy, but I absolutley love it and end up singing right along with it. I think the song was permanetly endeared to me when a few years ago on New Year's Eve our friends Reed and Nikki as well as Mike and I ended up choreographing the chorus together. I recall laughing hysterically. "Last Christmas, you gave me your heart, but the very next day you gave it away...."

4. "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee-- Bring on the sounds of the 1950's! I love it! Makes me want to hang some tinsel strands on my tree, put on my good pearls (really I have none) and serve cookies to my guests in a starched dress and high heels. I love that decade!

3. "I'll Be Home for Christmas" by Bing Crosby-- Gotta have a song by Bing Crosby on here. Such a classic song sung by a classic voice. To get the full effect, you must listen to this song after all children are in bed while sitting next to a fire with the only other light being the glow of the lights on the Christmas tree. Ahhhhh.....

2. "I Celebrate the Day" by Relient K-- Well, after haning out in the 40's and 50's, jump with me if you will to today! I absolutely love the lyrics to this song. "And the first time, that you opened your eyes, did you realize that you would be my savior?, and the first breath that left your lips, did you know that it would change this world forever?....","And I celebrate the day, that you were born to die, so I might one day pray to you to save my life." Good, good stuff.

1. "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"by Gayla Peevy-- Surprised? I guess I'm a sucker for songs written in the 1950's cause I love everything about this one! It is funny, sweet and will stick in your head all day after you hear it! It's also cool that the song has an Oklahoma City connection. The ten year old girl who sings this song is from OKC, and in 1953, after the song grew in popularity, she was actually presented with a real baby hippopotamus which she then donated to the Oklahoma City Zoo. The hippo was named Matilda, and she lived a long life here, passing away just a few years ago in 2003. My girls LOVE this song too. I think the three of us danced around to it several times the other day. I would really recommend that.
So for your listening pleasure, here is my favorite non-traditional Christmas song.....

1 comment:

Heather@WoolandFlax said...

That's funny, "Last Christmas" happens to be my least favorite Christmas song... maybe because our local station over-plays it. Last year they played it so often that Dustin and I actually made a rule to turn the radio off every time it came on. Love the hippo song, though. :)