Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Birthday Eve

When I think back to December 15th, 2004, many things stand out in my mind.

1. It was my last day being pregnant with my twin girls.

2. I went along with Mike to his eye doctor appointment that afternoon. Because Mike's eyelashes are so long, the eye doctor had a hard time looking at Mike's eyes. I hoped our daughters would inherit his eyelashes (and they did).

3. After the doctor appointment, we went to the mall to pick up a few Christmas gifts and to grab a bit to eat. I remember I had a slice of pizza.

4. That evening, we went over to Mike's aunt's house to help her decorate her Christmas tree. Mike's parents had flown into town and were there as well.

5. Back at our home later that night, we all watched I, Robot. And we were all so preoccupied with the upcoming birth of our daughters that we could hardly pay attention. It wasn't that great of a movie anyway, so no big loss there.

6. It was my last day to feel like I was going to scratch my skin off. You see, I developed PUPPP halfway through week 35. PUPPP is an extremely itchy, hive-like rash that occurs mostly in women carrying multiples. I was literally covered in these blotches from my scalp to the skin between my toes. Unfortunately, the only cure is delivery, so women with PUPPP are forced to deal with this horribly itchy condition with no relief. Seriously, google the word PUPPP and see the image results. Scary stuff. I remember I was SO ready to be rid of it!

7. I remember being very excited to meet my babies-- my firstborn children. What I didn't know then is just how much joy these two girls would bring into my life.

Hannah and Leah, I think you are the most amazing, smart, funny, beautiful young girls I've ever known. I am so thankful that I get to be your mom. Happy 5th birthday, my Banana and Bee!

Excited beyond words as they entered Young Chef's Academy (where we had their b-day party this past Saturday).
Making their pizza dough
Two accomplished young chefs!

4 comments:

Mocha Mama 24 said...

The birthday party looks SO fun!! Can you believe they are 5 already? I've never heard of the itchy thing you were talking about. That sounds terrible!!

affectioknit said...

Awesome - Happy Birthday - fun memories (except the PUPPs thing) - the party at the Chef's looks like some amazing fun too!

Maria Rose said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful daughters!
PS I looked up PUPPP images...ouch!

shanna said...

How fun! What a great memory :)