Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter and Vampires

Confession: I have never read a Harry Potter book. When I started teaching sixth grade in 1999, Harry Potter mania was just beginning. And it continued throughout the next eight years that I was in the classroom. I won a copy of the first Harry Potter book at a teachers' conference several years ago, so I own one, but have never read it. For some reason Harry has just never interested me. I'm sure some people think this is a tragedy. Maybe I am missing out? One day I'll probably read them-- perhaps when my girls are older and are interested in reading them. But until then, Hogwarts and Dumbledore are just words to me.

Enter Twilight. This book was just circulating around the last year that I taught (06/07 school year). I knew it had something to do with vampires, but that was it. Another topic of zero interest to me. So I avoided reading it. Then a sequel came out. Then another. It seemed like everytime I walked by the young adult section at Barnes 'n Noble another sequel had appeared on the shelves and was stocked in mass volume. Then my friends started reading them. My aunts and cousins started reading them. At my monthly bunco group, the women I played with started discussing "Edward and Bella" and various situations from the books. Then a movie came out. And then.......I decided to read them. And I actually liked them!

So far I've just read Twilight and New Moon. I think Edward's character is well developed and fascinating. As a vampire who by nature craves human blood, he chooses out of a moral conviction to only drink animal blood so that he does not harm humans. The main female character, Bella, has a scent so intoxicating to him that he is incredibly attracted to her, but constantly battles his vampire desires with an even greater desire to be with her and protect her. Edward is like a dark knight in shining armor. Edward and Bella's love grows throughout the first book and continues into the second book until an unfortunate event the night of Bella's 18th birthday takes the couple on a painful journey. With the introduction of a rival pack of werewolves in New Moon the plot thickens even more.

I'm looking forward to reading the last two books. I guess I like vampires more than I thought I did. =)

What are some of your favorite series of books?

5 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I love the Chronicles of Narnia.

Anonymous said...

I picked up Twilight in Wal Mart in May while on Vacation. I read it the ENTIRE drive home from South Dakota. I finished the series in a week. I agree Twilight has WONDERFUL character development. I wish it was a little more descriptive but I think the plot is fun and it is a quick read. I then decided to read Harry Potter which I too, had never cared to read. I loved it! I read that entire series in a week finishing the last two books in two days! Joe said he missed me while I was reading those books. I've moved on to some adult reading recently but my next young adult or juvenile read will be Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I have heard good things about that series.

Emily said...

I love the Chronicles of Narnia too. Anne of Green Gables is also high on my list as well as Little House on the Prairie. I read the Left Behind series several years ago,and I also enjoyed a series called the Lake Emily series by Traci Dupree. That's all the others for me. Percy and the Olympians sounds interesting!

Jenn said...

I get on author kicks - right now it is Dekker again (got Ryan reading Thr3e) - last summer it was Fanny Flagg (love her!). I got unbelievably involved in the Twilight series!! Also have liked books by Billie Lets. But my favs are the classics - Les Miserable, Great Expectations, Rebecca, Little Women, etc. Keep the recs coming - always looking for another good read!

AKM said...

I loves the Harry Potter! I keep fighting the Twilight, but I know I'm eventually going to give in. :-) I also like the Sweet Potato Queens books.