Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th!

I love the Fourth of July. I always have. I think it's the combination of patriotic spirit, family, friends, summer weather and food that does it for me. Today we are having a cookout at our house with my parents, our friends, and their kids. I've been busy cooking and baking to get ready for our feast! Then we're heading out to watch fireworks at a nearby university. That is if the rain doesn't ruin our plans. That's right-- it's RAINING today. It hasn't rained in weeks and then of course it starts sprinkling on the Fourth! Oh well-- I know we need the rain. But I do love me some fireworks, so maybe there can be a compromise: rain in the morning, sun in the afternoon?? I guess I'm not in control of the weather.

In addition to food and fireworks, the Fourth of July is always a day I remember all the people in my family who have served in the military. My mom grew up as an "army brat" living all over the United States as well as Germany and Okinawa. My grandfather was a Colonel and fought in both World War II and the Korean War. When I was little, he would tell me the story of how he earned a Purple Heart. During one battle, a sniper's bullet went in one side of his torso and exited the other side. He would then lift up his shirt and show me the entry scar on one side and the exit scar on the other. We have great black and white photograph of him in a hospital bed shaking hands with the General who stopped by to deliver my grandfather's medal. Both men have smiles on their faces. In addition, two of my mom's four younger brothers followed suit and served in the U.S. Military as well: my uncle Paul Gant (Army) and my uncle Jim Gant (Navy). Now, two of my uncle Jim's four kids are currently serving in the military: my cousin Steve Gant (Air Force) and my cousin Phil Gant (Army). I am so proud of that history in my family. And for all U.S. Military men and women who are currently serving or have served in the past. I am so grateful for our freedom.

Happy Fourth of July!!

1 comment:

Mocha Mama 24 said...

I love the 4th too. Everytime I see the color guard go marching by I think of my Grandpas too. I think we often forget the real reason for some of these holidays.

Happy eating, fireworking, playing, and hopefully no raining Fourth of July!!