Monday, July 20, 2009

Crape Myrtle

The days of 106 degrees have finally subsided here recently. Much to this pregnant Mama's delight. Although we're still in the 90's, I'll take it over the scorching temps anyday. One bright spot in this heat zone, however, is the annual blooming of my crape myrtle. I love these bushes. They are everywhere around here because they are really hardy and can survive in the extreme heat. Infact, it's when the temperatures start to soar that they open up their vibrant blossoms. It's like the heat coaxes them into blooming. So when all the grass around here is turning crispy and brown, we have these pretty plants to looks at. It makes me wonder if when I go through the "heat" of life, do I wither and dry up or bloom like the humble crape myrtle? I hope I'm a bloomer. =)

A view of my crape myrtle by my front porch.


3 comments:

Jenn said...

Very nice! I have 2 in backyard and I love that they are late-bloomers - prolongs the blooming of my flower bed!

Anonymous said...

I love those bushes, but I never knew what they are called!

Maria Rose said...

Those are beautiful. I don't think I've seen any growing up here in WY.