Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunday at the Zoo

July 5, 2009

Perfect weather.

A cool, gentle breeze.

A blue sky with puffy, white clouds.
It's a family day at the zoo.

She spies the old fashioned carosel at the end of the path.
Her eyes light up as she runs full speed ahead.
Daddy buys a token and she hands it to the man at the booth.
"I want a zebra!" she says as she inspects the brightly painted wooden animals.

I sit beside her, my pregnant belly swollen, but comfortable.
The ride begins.
A Simon and Garfunkel song is sweetly playing on the speakers.
I look over at her, and she's laughing.
The wind is gently lifting her hair, her eyes are bright, her smile so innocent and pure.
And then something inside of me starts to hurt a little as I think, She's already four!

Where has the time gone?
Wasn't she just in diapers, toddling around, getting her first teeth?
It's as if someone is squeezing my heart, and a tear wells up in my eyes.
I love watching her. Please don't let this ride end. I try hard to capture this perfect moment in
my head. I want to remember it forever.
Then, as my heart is beating out of control, I suddenly take a deep breath.
And I remember that it's not that she's already four-- she's only four.
And for today, she is still all mine.

[ Hannah on the carosel. Picture taken August 2008]

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Beautifully written, but I think she'll always be yours, she is part of you.

Jenn said...

very very sweet post! Just remember to not blink! :) I still make mine sit cradle-style in my lap! Lots of long limbs now!