Tuesday, July 14, 2009

106 is HOT

Don't let this beautiful, blue sky fool you. Yes, it looks like the sky of a perfect, balmy summer day. With perhaps a gentle wind to cool you now and then. Ahhhh....if only that were true.

Instead this is the sky of a hot, windy, 106 degree day here in Oklahoma. We have been having record breaking heat lately. When the seven day forecast shows up on the TV screen during the ten o'clock news, it looks like this: 106,106, 106, 105, 103....and on and on. And when you're 37 weeks pregnant, this really feels like 120 degrees.

So what to do when it's 106 degrees outside and you don't have access to a pool? Why break out the slip 'n slide of course! It keeps the girls cool and helps them run out some energy.
I had a slip 'n slide when I was little that got lots and lots of use. My friend, Shauna, and I would spend hours on that thing! I remember it had a yellow, plastic mat, and it had a plastic banana that hooked up to the water hose and sprayed water over the mat. I admit that last summer I tried the slip 'n slide as a 31 year old adult. I misjudged my weight and went flying right off the end into the grass. Oops! There will definitely be no slipping or sliding for me this summer. Not with this belly, that's for sure.



So what does a 9 month pregnant Mama do in 106 degree heat while her little ones are playing in the water? Sit and sweat. That's about it. I tried reading, but I gave up after the sweat drops started rolling off my nose and onto the pages. I think we only stayed outside about 30 minutes, but I seriously needed a shower when we were done. I also really needed a big glass of lemonade that day!

What do you guys do to cool off in the heat?

6 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I am sorry. I have been uncomfortable in the 90s here, but I think I'd turn into a whiney mess in your situation. Enjoy the a/c and maybe some early evening swimming!

Heather@WoolandFlax said...

You need a kiddie pool to dip your feet in...it helps! Stay cool, mama!

Jenn said...

I'm not sure why you didn't do some slip-n-slide?? :)

Mocha Mama 24 said...

I would have to agree with Heather. Get yourself in a little pool!! Sprinklers are huge hits at our house. We found a Little Tikes one at Wal Mart this year for $10 that shoots balls into the air. Elijah has been playing baseball with it and loves it.

Emily said...

Looks like we may be purchasing a kiddie pool soon! =)

Unknown said...

We have a kiddie pool too! Lots of fun. Micaiah likes to put rocks and dirt in it though.
Last summer I sat on the tile floor is shorts and tank tops. Fun memories!!