Thursday, July 2, 2009

RIP Little Bird


A few days ago the girls and I pulled into my parents' driveway only to discover a sad sight. A baby bird had fallen from its nest high atop a nearby pine tree and had died. The girls saw the little bird and were instantly concerned. The questions began to fly as well, "Why did this bird die? Where is his Mommy? Why did he fall out of his nest?"

We decided that we needed to do something to honor the little fellow. So my mom and dad and the girls and I had a simple burial for one of God's smallest creatures. We picked a shady spot under the pine tree to dig a hole. My dad wrapped the bird in a paper towel and we gently covered him up. Next my dad and the girls made a gravemarker to honor the baby bird. It read simply, "RIP Little Bird". The girls then searched for some flowers to place on top of the grave, finally deciding on some pretty pinkish-purple ones.

Later in the car, Leah asked if we could pray for the Mommy bird because she might be looking for her baby. So I did. I'm so glad God is nurturing a tenderhearted spirit inside these sweet girls of mine.

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

What a sweet story.