Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hospital Story


This time last week I was getting ready to go to the hospital and have my baby. A week has flown by. A week of anticipation, overwhelming joy, heartbursting love, physical pain, and a steady stream of peace. Lucas is here. He's perfect, my girls absolutely love him, and although we are sleep deprived already, we are so happy.
When I arrived at the hospital last Friday at 5:30 in the morning, it was dark and calm. My nurse. Krystal, showed me to my hospital room where I changed into a gown and then proceeded to a "holding room" before going into the operating room for my c-section. Krystal started my iv, then went over a small mountain of paperwork and before we knew it, it was 7:20 and my section was scheduled to start at 7:30! Soon another nurse came and took me to the OR with Mike following closely behind. Mike had to wait in another room (while putting on his white, gauze-like, suit) and I was taken into the cold operating room. I had to lie down on a bed and the anesthesiologist proceeded to do a spinal to numb me from my tummy down. It wasn't painful and it worked immediately. It is such a weird feeling to be that numb.
Mike was then brought in and a curtain placed close to my head so I couldn't see the actual surgery take place. They offered Mike a chair, but he opted to stand and peek over the sheet. He watched the entire thing-- blood and all. My doctor had to cut through some scar tissue from my first c-section, so it took a little longer. Before I knew it, I heard my doctor exclaim, "Look at all that hair and those cute, chubby cheeks!" And then, I heard the best sound ever-- a beautiful, baby cry. He was here!
I started crying big tears (of joy) that ran out the corners of my eyes and down into my ears. The anesthesiologist offered me a blanket to wipe my eyes and my doctor held Lucas up over the curtain so I could see him for a moment. Another nurse took him over to a station where she could clean him up and get his weight. 7 lbs. and 13 ounces! He was much bigger that either Hannah or Leah.
After another 30 minutes or so, I was stitched up and ready to be wheeled down to my room. A flood of people came in to see our sweet boy including my Hannah and Leah wearing their new t-shirts that said "Big Sister 2009". They were happy and curious. And seeing them loving on their brother made my heart swell with love.
I stayed in the hospital for three nights before heading home, and as crazy as it sounds I loved it. I loved having nothing to do, but focus on my baby. No laundry to worry about, no cooking, no cleaning. Just three days of staring at what we had made. Yes, I'm still sore. Yes, I look like I'm still 6 months pregnant. But it has been a wonderful week. And I'm looking forward to many, many more wonderful weeks as a family of five!

6 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Yay! I am just so happy that all went well. What a beautiful day it must have been!

Heather@WoolandFlax said...

What a wonderful story! I hope you're healing well and enjoying that sweet newborn time.

Jacquelyn said...

Beautiful story! Buuuut you left out one of my favorite parts- kung fu fighting!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! He is gorgeous!! I know that all the pain is worth it when you hold that little one!

Emily said...

I forgot about the anesthesiologist dancing to kung fu fighting and the flashdance song, "She's a maniac, maniac, on the floor...."

It was a fun bunch in the operating room.

Mocha Mama 24 said...

Awesome!! I'm so glad you are all adjusting. Keep those pictures coming. I love seeing your sweet little boy.