Tuesday, September 20, 2011

May I Recommend

A few years ago, I picked up The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones for my girls as an Easter gift.  I had read about it on a blog, and thought it sounded creative and different than other picture and story Bibles out there.  It has turned out to be one of our favorite books, Bible or otherwise! 

Before I go any further, I should state that this is a paraphrased version of the Bible, and is not meant to replace the Bible in any way.  Instead, I see it as a tool or reference to come alongside the Bible and help explain things in a different way. 

Now, back to my recommendation.....The Jesus Storybook Bible emphasizes the point that the Bible is one big story-- a love story about a Hero who comes to rescue his people. And in the center of the story hinges on the birth of a baby.  Everything before his birth and everything after all join together to tell His redeeming story.  Each story from beginning to end points to Jesus. 

Every time I sit down and read out of this book, I end up just as enthralled as the girls do.  And I find myself saying, "Ok, I'll read just one more chapter."  It has brought tears to my eyes and has made me look at certain Bible characters in a new light. 

So if you're thinking of buying a birthday present for a preschooler or perhaps you're starting your holiday shopping early-- consider picking this book up.  And get one for yourself as well!

1 comment:

Tandamaguire said...

I agree with your review! We love this Bible!