Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Curious Mind

This morning Lucas and I decided to take a stroll together while the girls were busy at a church camp for the day. The morning was bright, clear and a surprising cool breeze was blowing! Yesterday it was 103, but a cool front moved in bringing some much needed relief. I put on my tennis shoes, strapped Lucas in the stroller and off we went. I was determined to take this walk slow and enjoy the small things along the way. I watched Lucas for my cues. We stopped once to feel the drips of water from a nearby sprinkler. I stopped again when a bird flew overhead and he pointed up in excitement. Again and again I stopped as he furrowed his brow in a thoughtful gaze. I forget how new and amazing the world looks to a curious little mind.

Eventually we ended up at the pond behind the girls' elementary school. Lucas started pointing and yelling, "Water! Water!" So we stopped and watched awhile. We looked for ducks (didn't see any) and saw a large turtle sunning itself by the bank of the water. It eventually slid in with a splash much to the delight of my little boy.

The elementary school pond
Lucas concentrating
Pointing out the turtle

I am so glad we took our time today. It felt nice not to be in a hurry, not to be rushing to accomplish a task. I need to remember to stop and take notice of the world around me. Just like my sweet boy likes to do.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It is always refreshing to 'take time'. And a good reminder to do so!! =)