Sunday, June 26, 2011

Body and Soul

See this lovely group of women? They are my workout buddies every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings at a place called Body and Soul. For 60 minutes we do an intense cardio and strength training class that really kicks my boo-tay sometimes! Like the name suggests, Body and Soul strives to not only work the body, but "feed" the soul as well. It is a Christian organization, so we start each meeting with prayer and workout to Christian music. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."
I think this sums up what Body and Soul is all about-- taking care of "temple" and honoring God with the one body he's given you.

By the way, our two class instructors are on the front row, and I have to brag on them both. Ruth Ann (front left, in black) is so kind and compassionate, and also very knowlegable about fitness. Rachel (front middle, in green) is funny and energetic, and as you can see-- very pregnant! She is due in August and puts us all to shame with her energy level and ability! I am always amazed at her stamina. Tomorrow morning we start our new summer session. Yahoo!

Oh and me? I am the little face sticking up behind Rachel. We all have ice packs on us in this photo because the air conditioning wasn't working in the gym and we were SO hot and sweaty. We joked that it must be like doing hot yoga. Very intense!

What do you do to honor your "temple"? Do you like to exercise with a group or on your own?

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

Well, I take an intense yoga class on Tuesdays and a pretty mild one on Saturdays. Then I take a long and energetic walk with a baby and 2 dogs 4-6 days a week. I also fit in exercise during down times around the house. Finally, as you know, chasing after and playing with a little one can turn into quite a workout!