Today is our 13th wedding anniversary. Lucky number 13. Our friends graciously offered to watch our kids so we could go out for a nice dinner together. And man, did we eat. We splurged on drinks, an appetizer, main course and dessert. Boo ya! Really, though, it was the uninterrupted conversation that was the best part of our night. After all these years, we still enjoy being together, and never seem to run out of things to talk about.
In honor of our 13th anniversary, I thought I would share thirteen random facts about us.
1. We met in college through mutual friends. I was 19 and he was 20.
2. Our first date was on September 22, 1996. We were supposed to meet at Lake Hefner to fly a kite, but we ended up talking instead. We finished the date with dinner at Chili's. I remember that our conversation flowed easily right from the start.
3. Once during a camping trip with some friends Mike defended me from a crazy, drunk Indian man. True story.
4. He proposed in June of 1998. He made dinner for me at his house. Just before dessert he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. I said yes. :)
5. Mike wore his black and white wing tip Doc Martens in our wedding. At the time we thought it was pretty cool.
6. A month after we were married, we got our sweet cat, Tundra. We named her after a song by Havalina Rail Co.with the same name.
7. Mike and I have to sleep with a fan or some sort of white noise.
8. We are both night owls, and prefer to sleep late in the morning.
9. He likes diet drinks, while I like the real things.
10. When we found out we were having twins, we both burst out laughing.
11. One of our favorite things to do together is to drive through and explore random small towns.
12. Our son, Lucas, is really a perfect combination of both of us, while Hannah looks more like me and Leah looks more like Mike.
13. I love the life we have built together. And I wouldn't change a thing.
Here's to another 13+ years!!!