Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

I had a simply lovely Mother's Day yesterday.  It was laid back, relaxing, and full of special memories both newly made and those from years past.  My day began with Mike and the kids giving me my present.  In his ever-thoughtful way, Mike had remembered that I have been asking to see the video footage he took of Lucas' birth (nearly three years ago).  Soon after Lucas was born, the i-phone came out and we stopped using our old video camera, opting for the video on our phones instead.  He had taken the footage, edited it down and had it ready to play on the television in the living room.  Not only did I finally get to see those precious moments right after my sweet boy was born, but there was some surprise footage of my mom holding my newly born baby too.  It was so nice to see her moving and talking and smiling.  It brought tears to my eyes, and seeing that was a bigger gift to me than any physical thing Mike could have bought me.  

After watching the video, we got ready for church and headed out the door.  After church, the guys had a special brunch planned for the ladies.  Mike had spearheaded the operation.  He and the five other guys in our small home church had all prepared a wonderful spread for the women to celebrate Mother's Day.  They set up a table outside complete with tablecloth and flowers.  They served us fruity pink punch in glasses each marked with our special nicknames.  The ladies sat outside and enjoyed the gorgeous weather while the kids each brought us our food:  quiche, stuffed french toast, and chocolate dipped strawberries.  The guys even did all the kitchen clean-up too.  It was such a wonderful treat.
 My cup-o-punch amidst the lovely table set up just for us.  "Pea" is a version of sweet pea.  Mike has called me that since we first got married.  Awwww......
 Me and the three little people who made me a mother.

We came home later in the afternoon and took it easy for a few hours until my dad stopped by.  He read the funnies with the kids and watched them do tricks on the trampoline until it was time to go eat dinner.  Lucas had just woken up from a three hour nap, so he was wired and ready to go!
Lucas at the restaurant.  
"I'm awake!!!!"

Our day ended just as easy as it began.  Mike took care of all the bedtime responsibilities (and there are a lot when bathing and pajama-ing three kids), and I was able to sit and relax for awhile.  Once the kids were in bed we settled in for a little tv watching/reading time, then went to bed.  It was just the perfect kind of day I was hoping for.

Mom and me
Of course, I missed my own mom very much.  And I thought about her a lot yesterday.  But I was able to look back and remember the good mom she was to me without the pain stabbing me in the gut.  The lump in my throat was still there, but I could actually smile and have a thankful heart.  And I am so thankful for the example she left for me to follow.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I miss you.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

What a precious gift to watch Lucas's birth and have such special memories of you mom holding him! He really is a great guy!! =)

Maria Rose said...

Sounds like a beautiful day!