Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

Since it is Thanksgiving week, I thought I'd share a few of our favorite pumpkin recipes.  Well, two of our favorite pumpkin recipes.  Tonight I made ravioli with pumpkin pasta sauce.  It is oh-so-easy, a little rich, and super yummy.  It comes together quickly and most of the ingredients I usually have on hand.


For the sauce you will need:  an onion, garlic, olive oil, pumpkin puree, chicken (or vegetable) broth, milk (or heavy cream), salt, pepper and Italian seasonings.


1. Dice one small onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic.  Add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil to a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic until tender.

2.  Add 3/4 cup pumpkin, 3/4 cup broth, 1/2 milk (or cream), salt, pepper and Italian Seasonings (to taste). Allow sauce to simmer over med-low heat for 10 minutes.

3. While the sauce is simmering, cook some pasta of your choice (I've been using cheese ravioli) according to the package directions.  Serve sauce over pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.

At this point you can really play with the ingredients.  Add a protein if you want (Mike thinks grilled chicken would be good).  Prefer linguine?  Rigatoni?  Go for it.  My only suggestion is no matter which pasta you use, you must serve it with some warm, crusty bread to soak up all the yummy, saucy goodness.

Tomorrow I'm going to post another favorite recipe-- chocolate chip pumpkin muffins!  Mmmm.....

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUM!

Have a lovely day!

Maria Rose said...

I am going to have to veganize this!

Emily said...

I realized I forgot to mention in step #2 that it is 1/2 CUP of milk. I'm sure all of you figured that out, because ya'll are so smart! :)