Sunday, November 13, 2011

Laughing At The Future

Back in my junior high years, a Sunday School teacher of mine encouraged me to read a chapter of Proverbs every day of the month.  Since Proverbs has 31 chapters, this usually works out perfectly.  She also encouraged me to underline each time Proverbs mentions wisdom.  It was this simple suggestion that kick started a daily habit of reading my Bible that has grown into a love for God's word.  And all these years later, I still read a chapter of Proverbs every day!  One of my favorite chapters is the last.  It speaks of a godly woman, someone that I strive to emulate.  One verse in particular has always stood out to me.  It's verse 25, "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs at the days to come (NIV)."  The New American Standard version says "she smiles at the future."  I remember back in college, discussing this very verse with my roommate.  We were so wide eyed and excited about our futures-- careers, marriage, kids!  So much awaited us then!  And as I've experienced these wonderful things, I have certainly smiled and thanked God for each of them.  But the future also holds loss and sadness and pain.  Even still....I want to be a woman who smiles at my future. A woman who laughs knowing that my future is secure in my Father's hands.




Proverbs 31:25
She is clothed with strength and dignity; 

 she can laugh at the days to come. 

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

:)

Angie said...

Thanks for writing this Emily...needed to hear it!