Saturday, March 5, 2011

One of Those Days

Today was one of those days where I could either laugh or cry at many different circumstances that occurred. Here's how the day went down.

At 11:00 this morning I dropped the girls off at a tea party/etiquette school themed birthday party. The invitation said for them to wear their "fanciest dress" which for us was a Christmas dress from two years ago. They both still fit! Score!
Leah and Hannah before their tea party

While the girls were at the party, I took the opportunity to run to the tag agency to transfer the title of our new mini-van over to us. After waiting in a super long line (I think I counted 11 people ahead of me when I walked in the door), I finally got up to the counter only to be told the old owner hadn't notarized their signature on the title. So, I would have to get back in touch with her and have her take it to a notary before we could sign our part. 45 minutes down the drain! At least I got to people watch which is always fun. The middle-aged guy right in front of me was wearing a shiny jacket that said "Jiggie Wear" really big across the back. I kept giggling at that.

After the party, the whole family loaded up to go run a few errands. Nothing major, just returning some movies and making an exchange at Mardel. At this point all three kids were melting down from lack of food, so after a short debate we decided to go to a local Mexican food restaurant. The kids love to munch on guacamole and chips, and Mike and I could order a meal that we could take the leftovers home for dinner later. Sounded like a good plan anyway.

When we got seated in a booth, Hannah instantly declared that she felt like she was going to throw up, and the look on her face proved that she was not kidding. The poor child gets motion sickness very easily, and she had been riding around in the back row of our new van for awhile. I thought we were going to have to leave right then, but after a few sips of water and a few minutes putting her head down on the table, she revived and was back to normal.

Then it was Lucas' turn for some crazy shenanigans. First he took off his jacket then as fast as lightning threw it over the booth and onto the head of a poor gentleman seated behind us. Extremely embarrassed, I profusely apologized and gave the jacket to Mike to hide from the Little Man. Shortly after that incident, Leah declared, "Mom, Lucas is really stinky!" My girls have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to their brother's dirty diapers. No problem, I scooped him up and carried him out to the car where I keep his diaper bag full of fresh diapers and wipes. When I got there, though, I discovered the diaper bag missing! Oh yeah! We had left it at a friends' house earlier in the week.

Plan B. I took Lucas to the bathroom hoping I could just flush the offending mess into the toilet, wipe his rear with toilet paper, and reuse the diaper he had on. Thankfully I was able to execute Plan B and head back to the table where our food had just been delivered.

After a few minutes of trying to eat, Lucas was still acting like a crazy man-- crawling out of the high chair and smashing chips and sprinkling them like confetti. I could see that Mike was about to break out into a sweat when he said, "Just get my food to go. I'll wait in the car with Lucas." And just like that, it was me and the girls sitting at the table alone. I scarfed my meal down, then asked our waitress for a "to go" box and the check. She stared at me for a minute then said, "Ma'am you have a long piece of cheese hanging from your chin." I reached up and sure enough, a long, hair-like string was dangling away. "Thank you," I muttered and got out of there as quickly as possible.

When we were all in the car, I told Mike about the "chin cheese incident" and we both died laughing. It was just that kind of day. One we can tell our kids about later and hopefully laugh it off all over again!

How was your Saturday?


Anonymous said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. thank you for sharing this. it's good to know that every one has "one of those days".

affectioknit said...

Crazy fun!