Thursday, January 7, 2010

Things That Happened Yesterday

Ice on our driveway....or ice skating rink

Yesterday was one of those days. It was busy, eventful, and exhausting. First of all, Hannah woke up running a fever and complaining that her throat was sore. I made doctor's appointment and Mike came home early so I wouldn't have to drag all three kids to our pediatrician's office. One throat swab later, it was official that Hannah had strep throat. Strep is one of those illnesses that plagued me as a child and even still as an adult. In fact, I'm surprised I still have my tonsils after having it so often. I'm afraid my girl is going down that same road. We came home, made her nice and comfy on our couch, and let her pick out a movie to watch. Leah is so sweet when Hannah is sick. When we came home from seeing the doctor yesterday, she immediately said, "I will pray for you Hannah." And she did! I love those tender moments.

Later, we had a crazy streak of cold weather sweep through the Oklahoma plains. An "arctic blast" as our weatherman called it. The winds increased significantly and some precipitation started falling which quickly turned to ice. The gusts of freezing cold wind and ice started a "galloping" effect on our power lines and soon transformers were exploding all over the city. Our power went out around 9:00 just as we were getting our kiddos to sleep. After lighting a few candles, we stood outside in our pitch black neighborhood and watched the blue flashes of light as each tranformer blew.

After an hour without power we started wondering if we should pack up and go to my parents' house since this was to be one of the coldest nights in our state's history. Our friend Jacquelyn was here with us, and when she decided to head home for the nightshe discovered that her car doors were literally frozen shut and our driveway was like an ice rink. We decided not to go anywhere, and she ended up staying the nightwith us. We were joking that all of us were going to have to snuggle up together to keep each other warm when thankfully our power came back on.

So between sick kids, crazy weather and getting to bed pretty late, yesterday proved to be full of the unexpected.

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Blessings - I hope Hannah feels better soon - strep is awful!

Stay warm and be careful out there!