Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mama School

One of the many goals I have for our family this year includes incorporating some "school" into our weekly routine. I have felt lately that I need to be better about spending more deliberate, focused time working with the girls. I decided to make this a very broad and flexible goal: nothing structured or too scheduled. Instead, I want to have a "minutemen" type of mentality so that when we find ourselves at home with a few free hours, I can quickly pull out something and make it a fun time of learning together.

With that in mind, today was the first day of "Mama School." I decided to take advantage of the down time we had while Lucas was napping this afternoon. So, I pulled out some workbooks that I'd recently received from my sister in law, and worked on some simple adding, lowercase letter tracing, and rhyming word matching. We also worked on reviewing our address and phone number. Finally we finished up by reading some books together. Total, we spent about an hour working quietly, and it felt good to have seized the moment to spend quality time with them. The tv and leapsters were off, nobody was fighting or screaming, and at one point Hannah looked up with her big brown eyes open wide and said, "I love Mama School!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great is it that you can be home to teach your children!?

shanna said...

how preciouis. Love this!