Sunday, January 3, 2010

Menu Shock

Last Thurdsay night, Mike and I met up with our friends, Reed and Nikki, at a local restaurant called Cheever's Cafe for dinner. Cheever's is a little bit over our normal price range for eating out. Most meals average around $17.00 or more. But for several reasons we decided to eat there anyway.
1. It was New Year's Eve
2. We've heard excellent things about the food
3. It was the end of a decade
4. We were celebrating ten years of friendship with Reed and Nikki
5. We had a Cheever's gift card for $125. Reed and Nikki also had a gift card for $75.
For all of the reasons listed above, we felt like we could easily splurge on an expensive dinner out. What we didn't know is that Cheever's does a pre-fixed menu on New Year's Eve. We didn't know this until after we had all been seated and were handed the printed piece of paper with the night's food selections listed course by course....for $65 a person. There was a moment of deliberation, but we all decided to stay and celebrate. How often do you get to enjoy a fabulous four course meal? So we ate and drank and laughed and talked the night away. Then we got the bill. It was $280. I dont' think I've ever seen a meal receipt for that much in my life. So we decided we'd do it again ten years from now. That's only saving $14 a year per couple for the next ten years-- no biggie! =)

Nikki and I before dinner

Reed, Nikki and I after dinner. Each of us is expressing our reaction to the amount of money we spent on food.
Cheever's, we'll see ya again in 2020!

2 comments:

Angie said...

wow!! Brian and I would've been doing their dishes :)

affectioknit said...

Oh my goodness - I'd have fainted...

I'm so glad you had a good time!

Happy New Year!