Thursday, January 21, 2010

So I Wish I Could Sew

I come from long line of women who know how to sew. And by sew, I mean more than just reattaching a loose button. My grandmother was an excellent seamstress. She made many of her own clothes, as well as clothes for my mom and my aunt and for me too. She also made a ton of Barbie clothes for me, my favorite being a beautiful wedding dress that numerous Barbies wore to wed Ken. She made my Christmas stocking, several quilted bags that I took to many a sleepover. My grandmother made my wedding veil and all of my bridesmaid dresses and flowergirl dresses. She made several blankets when my daughters were born. And my most cherished handmade item from her is the quilt that she presented to me on my wedding day. I am one of her eight granddaughters, and she made a quilt for each of us to have upon getting married. What a special thing!

My mom also knows how to sew. I think almost every Easter dress I wore as a child was made by her. She is good at needlepoint and made several Christmas ornaments, dishtowels, and framed pieces. My favorite thing she did is a needlepoint ABC's. Each letter is accompanied by a picture. The colors are bright and cheerful and it spent many years hanging in my room when I was little. My mom also made a doll for me that I LOVED. I named her Angela and she came just about everywhere with me.

Now, you may be wondering, "What do you sew, Emily?" The answer is simply: nothing. I so regret that I never took the time to learn from my grandmother. I've been thinking about that lately, and although I don't expect to ever make elaborate clothes for anyone, I do want to make an effort to create something handmade. Something special. Something thoughtful. Whether it will be needlework, knitting, or sewing, I want to make creating a special handmade item a goal for 2010.

So what should I start with? Any suggestions?

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

I think the first thing I sewed when I was a little girl and Mom was teaching me was a set of bean bags - just straight seams - and a fun toy afterward...

affectioknit said...

Good Luck!

Maria Rose said...

I'm right there with you, just taking it one step at a time. I have been talking with my mom and checking out books from the library!

Jacquelyn said...

You know my thoughts on sewing. I don't even need to go there. I'll keep you in my prayers.