Friday, January 15, 2010

Heaven Is The Face

It seems like over the last few months I've known way too many people who are hurting: a marriage in trouble, a critically sick baby, a heartbreaking miscarriage, unforgiveness ripping apart a family....and now the entire country of Haiti. I have been so saddened by the images I've seen on the television and from the reports I've read on the internet. Saddened and yet amazed at the swift outpouring of generosity as well. I've been pondering what small part I can play in the relief effort and right now the only thing....the best thing....I can do is pray. Pray for the families looking for loved ones, pray for people who have lost so much, pray for peace, healing, and comfort.

I was reminded the other day of the new Steven Curtis Chapman song, "Heaven Is The Face." Chapman wrote the song after the tragic loss of his youngest daughter not too long ago. First off, the song always makes me cry. But it also gives me incredible encouragement. Even though things can be hard here on earth, we have an incredible hope for our future. My favorite lines in the song go something like this, "In my mind's eye, I can see a place, where your glory fills every empty space, all the cancer is gone, every mouth is fed, and there's no one left in the orphans' bed."

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Even when I don't understand, I take hope in the fact that I don't see the big picture. But my Heavenly Father does.


4 comments:

shanna said...

I too look forward with a hope of heaven. I am longing for Him to make all things new!

k_stin said...

We just talked about the "big picture" in my lifegroup last night, especially dealing with people who are sick and praying for healing. We were talking about when God doesn't answer the way that we want him to, but I kept thinking, that God sees the whole picture--we only see a small part.

Maria Rose said...

Beautiful.

Mocha Mama 24 said...

I want to adopt some of those kids so bad! If I watch too much my heart can't take it all. I was telling Steve that it looks like their eyes don't have the sparkle like our kids do. Makes me want to hug our boys even more.