Saturday, February 21, 2009

Thankfulness

I woke up today in a sort of funk.  I think I had a mixture of feelings, but the best way to describe it was simply just "down in the dumps."  I think I was feeling stressed about a few situations, and I led myself into a downward pity-party spiral.  

So Mike took the girls on a walk and I am enjoying some much needed quiet time this afternoon. And I thought a good way to bust out of this metal fog would be to just make a list of everything I'm feeling thankful for.  Here goes......

1.  My family.  Oh how I love them.  And not only my husband, children and parents.  But everybody.  Seriously.  My aunts, uncles, cousins, in-laws.  I read my cousin Katie's blog today and it brought a smile to my face.  She's studying in France this semester, and she writes so beautifully about her experiences. She's like my little sister, and I am so proud of her!

2. A clean house.  I spent yesterday and some of Thursday really deep cleaning our house.  It feels so great to wake up on Saturday and not feel crumbs under my feet when I walk into the kitchen.

3.  Food to eat.  I went to the grocery store earlier this morning and have several meals planned out for the week ahead.

4.  Books.  I have a good book that I'm in the middle of and a stack of at least four or five more ready to go.  

5.  The Sun.  It's really cold today, but the sun is shining and the sky is blue.  And I know that Spring is on it's way. In another month at least.  I'm so thankful that the seasons are a predictable part of our year.  

6. Chocolate.  I know I already mentioned food, but I ate two chocolate chip cookies earlier that were so good.  We don't always have sweets around here, so I'm thankful for a little indulgence.

7.  Pictures.  All around my house are framed photos of people that I love.  

8.  My bed.  When we moved into our new house a year ago, we splurged and bought ourselves a new king sized bed.  It is so comfortable.  I look forward to sleeping in it at night.

9.  My cats.  There is nothing better when you are feeling down than a big furry bundle snuggling up next to you.  I swear these cats have a sixth sense and know when I'm feeling sad. They seem to pay extra attention to me then.

10. Friendships.  The kind that love you no matter what and always encourage.  These are so valuable.

There-- I feel better already.  It helps to focus on the good things in my life.  What are you thankful for today?


4 comments:

Jenn said...

I have those kinds of days, sister. Glad you're able to do something about it - sometimes I just stay stuck.

Also, Ms. Avid-Reader, you got any suggestions for me??? I need a really good story to try to get over the vampires! :)

Jacquelyn said...

Heavy Boots days! Me too! I sort of did the same thing in the shower this morning, thinking of what I was thankful for.

1. Mom and Dad. For obvious reasons.

2. Every single place I have ever been.

3. How amazing it is that everything in this world is so accessible. I love feeling like I know about all different countries and people that I may not (but hopefully will!) travel to.

4. FRIENDS. Real, tried and true, there for you no matter what friends. Like you. :)

5. Having 17 years with the greatest dog in the world.

6. Food of all sorts and flavors. I went to the best Thai place today. AMAZING. Tana Thai on May and Hefner.

7. Hot showers. Comfy bed. A good massage.

8. Professional basketball in OKC.

9. Books! Amazing authors and thinkers!

10. Dreams and the feeling of hope and Chris Tomlin singing sweet songs! :)

Emily said...

Good list, Jacque. Really good list. And Jenn, I sent you an email with book suggestions. =) I am thankful for both of you!

Maria Rose said...

I am thankful for so many things, but right now I am thankful to just be right here right now.