Thursday, February 5, 2009

Blueberry-Walnut Cake w/ Lemon Filling

Ok, so here's the recipe to my absolutely favorite cake of all time.  Mike and I have vastly different opinions on cake-- his opinion being that chocolate cake is the only kind there is. Everything else he can leave behind.  Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate cake too, but I am also a fruit/nut/berry/kind of person.  And I am not a big fan of icing, so this cake works out great.  Just a little filling between layers, not a inch of crusty stuff on the top.  That's just me though.  Also, this cake is a little bit labor intensive, so set aside some time to do it.  The results are worth it!! So here goes.....

Ingredients for the cake:
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup ground walnuts (I use the food processor to grind them to a flour-like consistency)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions for the cake:
1.  Beat whipping cream and vanilla in a chilled bowl until stiff. (I use the hand mixer because my arm is not strong enough!!)
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until thick and lemon colored.  Fold eggs into cream.
3. Mix flour, sugar, walnuts, baking powder, and salt.  Fold into cream mixture.
4. Fold in blueberries.
5. Pour into 3 greased & floured round cake pans.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Remove pans and cool completely.
6. Make lemon filling (see below).  Place one cake layer upside down on serving plate.  Spread evenly with 1/2 the filling.  Top with second cake layer.  Spread the remaining filling on top. Place the final cake layer on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Refrigerate until ready to serve!

Ingredients for Lemon Filling:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 egg yolks

Directions for Lemon Filling:
Beat butter, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla with an electric mixer.  Add in egg yolks one at a time until mixture is light and fluffy.

I hope someone attempts to make this!  If you do, please report back as to how it turns out. I've only attempted this cake once.  Usually I just let my mom make it once a year on my birthday. Is that lazy?  I should probably give it another try!!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I am trying this - I don't know when, but I'm gonna try...thanks for posting it!

Maria Rose said...

OK, I am going to have to try and veganize this!

Emily said...

Good luck to both of you! I hope it turns out!