Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Shower and a Surprise

We've had a pretty good weekend here at our house.  Saturday morning I found a surprise waiting for me in our mailbox from my blog friend Maria Rose over at Little Things Are Big.  It was a beautiful photograph that I can't wait to frame and hang up at our house.  And go check out her blog-- it is creative, upbeat and a lot of fun to read.  So, thanks Maria!!


Me and Tundra with my prize!

Later that afternoon I drove to Enid, OK to attend my cousin's baby shower.  My cousin Steve is in the Air Force and so we were all thrilled that he and his wife got stationed just an hour away from Oklahoma City.  We've been able to see them more often, and we're all so excited to meet their little boy when he makes his arrival in a few more weeks.  While I was gone, Mike took the girls for a "Daddy and Daughter" outing.  They went to Chick-fil-a for lunch, played at the playground, then went by Blockbuster where the girls each picked out a movie of their choice. We ended up with a Land Before Time movie and an animated version of The King and I.  


The girls before they left for their date with Daddy.

Today we went to church, then headed over to my parents' house for my annual birthday dinner.  My birthday is actually February 3rd, but we celebrated a few days early.  My mom always makes me my favorite meal:  beef & peppers, napa cabbage salad, and blueberry-walnut cake with lemon filling.  My mom lived in Okinawa during her high school years, and while there my grandparents' housekeeper gave them some delicious traditional recipes.  My mom has been making these dishes as long as I've been alive and I love 'em.  She found the cake recipe while I was in college, and since I love the combination of lemons and blueberries, I was sold!

My delicious blueberry-walnut cake.

It was an enjoyable day followed by a pretty intense Super Bowl during which I snuggled with my sweet Tundra. I tried to take her picture, but she gave me this face......

Tundra saying, "Why do you insist on taking my picture?"

I hope you all had a nice weekend!  What did you do?

3 comments:

Mocha Mama 24 said...

We rented a Land Before Time Movie too. Your cake looks Yummy!!

Maria Rose said...

Oh man, that cake sounds good. I may have to invent a vegan version.

PS I am so happy you like the picture!

Jenn said...

We were in Enid on Sunday at my grandma's with lots of the fam! And that cake??? Do you all share the recipe??? :) YUM!