Monday, February 23, 2009

Children's Books

I love children's books.  And young adult books too.  My mom was an elementary school librarian and I even started my master's degree in Library Science, but stopped when I had kids.  I love, love, love books.  And children's books are no exception.  A longtime goal of mine is to read all the Newberry Winners as far back as the award goes (1930-something).  I've read a lot, but I have a lot still to go.  Anyway, the girls and I (and sometimes my mom) go to the public library just about every week.  Some weeks we get books that are good.  And then some weeks we find books that are great.  Like maybe I'd actually go pay for them great.  This week we scored.  Here are two of my top picks.  If you have kids (and even if you don't) check them out next time your at the library.  


Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin is such a cute book.  It's actually funny.  Not just silly funny, but good humor funny.  I love the illustrations and I hope there's a sequel so I can read more about Worm and his small, but significant little life.  Ms. Cronin does have a book called Diary of a Spider which we'll have to check out next.


Smash! Mash! Crash!  There Goes the Trash!  by Barbara Odanaka
is a fun one too.  I like the rhythm of the words and the colorful 
pictures. It's also got plenty of grossness to suit any four or five 
year old just perfectly.  Apple Cores, coffee grounds, stinky diapers,
etc.  I can hear my girls saying "Ewwww!" with every page.  

Next time you're at the library, you'll have to check these out!





5 comments:

Skateboard Mom said...

Thanks for the kind words! Perhaps you and the girls will enjoy my next book, coming out in June:

A Crazy Day At the Critter Cafe!

It stars a skateboarding cow.

Cheers!

Barb Odanaka
www.skateboardmom.com

Maria Rose said...

My friend's son is just getting into books. He loves when they have a good rhythm. I will have to recommend these to her!

Callie said...

I LOVE children's books too! I will never forget Dr. Russell for sharing her love of Children's Lit. Madison just brought home the book "A Dairy of a Worm." We all got a good laugh as she read it to us. We will have to look for the other book you mentioned I think Jake would love it!

Jenn said...

I've been wanting to do a post like this! Love the Diary books....we have Diary of a Spider right now - from the library!

Anonymous said...

I love children's books! I got really sad yesterday when I saw the sign at the thrift store saying they can no longer sell children's books printed before 1985 because of the new cpsc lead laws. I wonder what libraries are doing about this?