Friday, February 6, 2009

Nature Center

Today we had some fantastic weather.  Over 70 degrees and it's February 6th!  Taking advantage of this unusual warm up, we met a friend at a local nature center to have a picnic and go on a hike. And guess what?  When I got there my camera battery was dead-- as a doornail. So no pictures today.  I will have to rely on some great describing words to help you picture our day in your head.   I can, however, give you the link to Martin Nature Center because you may want to check it out anyway.  It's a wonderful little place I've been visiting now for over 20 years.  

When we first arrived and settled at our picnic table, the wind was pretty fierce and still slightly chilly.  So we ate quickly and had to hold down our sandwiches so they didn't blow away.  The girls were excited to get started on our walk, so we tossed our trash and away we went.  Once inside the park, shielded by the all the big trees, the wind died down and the sun warmed us through.  The girls and their friend Abby giggled and squealed each time we came to a fork in the road or a map.  They loved figuring out which way to go.  We walked for awhile before we came to the river.  Today it was gently bubbling along over the red jagged rocks and created a really relaxing setting.  The girls enjoyed throwing rocks into the water while Mindi (Abby's mom) and I chose to chat while basking in the sun.  

Our hike later took us over a tall bridge which was perfect for throwing some of our leftover fruit down to the fish.  A few squished grapes and apple pieces made a great snack for the catfish that surfaced up from the muddy depths to munch.  We also spotted deer and raccoon tracks along the muddy outskirts of the trails we walked.  

Close your eyes, and imagine if you will these sights and sounds:

--golden sunlight shining through naked winter trees
--crunching gravel beneath five sets of feet
--the gentle breeze blowing dry scratchy leaves around
--giggles of three 4 year old girls
--the occasional sound of a distant airplane overhead
--the bubbling river always nearby
--the flushed pink cheeks and tired stare of my kids as we drove home

After being cooped up last week with ice and snow-- this was a very welcome change of pace.  It made me long for spring.  I think I physically ached to look at the barren trees to see the first signs of buds appearing.  But then I remembered that it's only February.  We haven't even hit Valentine's Day yet!  So spring is still out there down the road a bit.  

But it will come. 

It always does.  


PS-- Happy 39th Anniversary to my Mom and Dad today!  I'm so glad your paths crossed!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You are not the only one to make me remember that I REALLY need to take the boys there! Sounds like our cup of tea!