Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Storm Photography

I have to brag on my husband a bit here.  He is one talented guy.  He has more creative artistic ability in his pinky finger than I do in my whole body.  He graduated with a fine art degree and is an incredible painter, illustrator and designer. He worked as a graphic designer for many years and is currently working in the film industry as a film designer (www.egm.tv). However another area in which he has succeeded in is photography.  He has a great eye for capturing a moment. He's willing to get on the floor or climb up higher to get the right shot.  He also understands the importance of light and captures it so beautifully.  

Another reason Mike is a good photographer is that he's willing to jump at an opportunity to take some great photographs.  Even if that means getting up at 3:00 am to get them.  About a month ago I woke up in the early morning hours to hear the sounds of a storm rolling through.  Flickers of lightning followed by claps of thunder amidst a gentle pitter patter of rain.  I rolled over only to see an empty spot beside me in bed.  Then I heard the back door to our house open and close a few times along with the sounds of bare feet slapping our concrete floor.  Before I could give it much thought, I succumbed to the pull of sleep and was out again in a matter of minutes.  

The next day I remembered my unusual early morning interruption and asked Mike what he was doing.  It was then that he showed me these.







These were taken from our back porch as the storm lit up the sky.  I think they are amazing.  They capture a perfectly beautiful Oklahoma storm. And that's one of the reasons Mike is a great photographer. You see, when he wakes up at 3:00 am to the sounds of a storm, he thinks, "I'll grab my camera and hopefully get some great shots."  While my thoughts are more like, "Sleep.  Must have more sleep."  

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Very Cool! Does he do people? I'm looking for a nice Fall shot of my fam outside - would he be interested?

Shauna said...

Wow! Those are awesome! I love storm pictures, he did a good job.