Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Bald Head and New Shoes

We had such a nice weekend. I think the niceness started Friday afternoon when my mom and I took my girls to a local shoe store to have their feet measured. We were on a mission to find  shoes that could take them through the chilly autumn/winter months. Hannah had her feet measured first, then it was Leah's turn. The nice man taking care of us was an older gentlemen with a shiny bald head surrounded by a faint halo of hair. Classic bald guy look. He was patient with my wiggly three year olds and was very friendly. As Leah was getting her feet measured I saw her staring at the top of the man's head. Instantly I knew some words were about to come out of her mouth, but I couldn't do anything about it.

Hey...you don't have any hair on your head!!  She exclaimed loudly. Where did it go? Did it all fall out?

I was embarrassed, but the nice man just smiled and said, "Yes, it did all fall out!"  He even let her rub the top of it like rubbing a Buddah belly for luck.  I'm glad he wasn't offended.  And in the end we took home some classic black Mary Janes and a new pair of sneakers.  


Our spoils:  shoes come in sets of four around here.

That night Mike's mom came in to town to stay with us, so we took the girls to the zoo for a night visit.  They didn't really even see many animals because the zoo was giving free carousel and train rides.  Big, Big hit.


Walking to the zoo entrance hand in hand with Gram.

Leah enjoying the carousel.

Saturday morning my wonderful mother-in-law and I met my friend Nikki for breakfast sans kids.  It was a great relaxing way to start a Saturday-- with strong coffee , yummy pastries and good conversation.  The rest of Saturday was spent setting up a tent in the backyard for the girls to play in as well as checking in on the OU/Baylor score.  OU remained #1 for another week.  Yip-ee!  Mike played gormet chef Saturday night and made an amazing meal of homemade pizza and caesar salad, and I ate way too much.  Whenever he cooks it's gooooood.



Sunday we went to church then came home and spent the day relaxing, doing laundry, reading books-- just being a family.  I even fit in a nice walk as the sun was setting.  A beautiful end to a lovely weekend.  


Me with a smile of contentment.  

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

okay, first, the heading for this about a bald head made me reallly nervous. all i could think was "who's hair got cut off???". whew, glad that's not the case. i love leah! hahahah!

Anonymous said...

I love those kinds of stories. I look forward to those slightly embarrassing but absolutely hilarious moments in our future.