Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

In my last post I mentioned pumpkin bread as one of my favorite fall things to eat.  Really I eat it year round, but it's especially good on those cold, dreary days when the smell of it baking fills the whole house.  So I thought I'd share my recipe with you all.  Feel free to tweak it to fit your specific dietary plan.  Oh and one of the best things about this recipe is that it makes two loaves of bread.  I love it because I always keep one loaf for my family and pass another loaf on to someone else.  Sometimes I give it to my parents just as a small thank you for helping out with my girls.  I've used it several times to welcome new neighbors, and I've also used it to give to friends who have added a new baby to their family. So I challenge you if you make this to find someone to give a loaf to.  It;'s a very small "pay it forward" of the cooking world.   

Pumpkin Bread
*preheat oven to 350 degrees
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 can pumpkin (16 oz)
2/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
Directions:
Cream sugar and oil with a mixer on medium speed.  Add eggs and pumpkin and mix well.  Sift together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients and water.  Pour into 2 well greased 9x5 loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean.  Let it stand on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool.  

Enjoy one of my favorite tastes of fall!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

mmm...I had almost forgotten about pumpkin bread. I think I'll make some tomorrow. yummy. sounds like a very easy recipe.

Leciawp said...

This looks good! I have made a pumpkin bread in the past with oil in it and it stayed moist forever. Last fall I was looking for something like this and couldn't find. I'll print this one out! And I'll give one to a neighbor.