Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rain and Sky

I've forgotten just how nice it is to be at home on a cool, rainy day. We are happily being relieved from the blistering Oklahoma August heat with a few days of clouds and the pitter-patter of rain drops. It lulled us to sleep last night and whispered us out of bed this morning. Now I'm a summer girl. I love laid back summer days, swimming at the lake; I even like the heat. But today is making me long for fall. For jeans and jacket days. For changing leaves and a chill in the air. And the sound of an OU football game on a Saturday afternoon. When God planned out the seasons, he knew exactly what he was doing because just as I'm tired of one particular season, the next one always follows. What a reminder of His consistent faithfulness.

And one bonus to living in a "big sky" state is the awesome views we get no matter what the season is. Like this sky the other night as I watched the sun set:


Or this view from our backyard as we played with the girls after dinner:

But today we're looking at this:



And this:

And that's okay with me.  I think my grass and trees and flowers are all breathing a collective sigh of relief!

Let the rain kiss you
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops
Let the rain sing you a lullaby
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk
The rain makes running pools in the gutter
The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night
And I love the rain.
--Langston Hughes





1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

yes, I love this kind of rain, too- no tornados... just gentle and soothing, as you said.

and thanks [re:legs], I've been focusing on my cycling this week. ;)