Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Days Before Email

My mom recently gave me a stack of old cards that she cleaned out of her stash. What a cool find!  Not only do they have a very cool 1980's vibe, but I love the variety of reasons people used to send cards.  I mean, "Happy Thanksgiving"? Do people still send cards at Thanksgiving?  I love it!  These cards have inspired me to start sending more "real mail."  I so vividly remember the days before email.  When I would write a four page letter on college ruled notebook paper, send it off, and start counting down the days until I might receive a reply.  Checking the mail each day was an adventure. Now all I get is bills, Blockbuster movies and the Buyer's Guide.  The occasional baby shower invitation sometimes slips its way in there which is like a little treat.  I think it says a lot when a person sits down and actually hand writes a note of thanks or encouragement.  Don't get me wrong, I love a full email inbox, but I also am nostalgic for the way we used to communicate.  So you never know when you might get a "Happy Thanksgiving" card from me in the mail!  

  

2 comments:

Jenn said...

My grandma send cards like these to my boys all the time and they love it! Who doesn't like real mail!?

Jacquelyn said...

LOOOOVE IT. I used to send postcards when I lived in NYC, I should get back into that... I love love love handwritten notes, even if they are only one sentence long.