Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Lovely Saturday

Lovely is just the word to describe our Saturday family day.  We all slept in a little followed by some snuggle time with the girls as they crawled into our bed all sleepy eyed, but ready for the day.  While they watched cartoons I made a big breakfast of biscuits, scrambled eggs, and sausage.  After we stuffed ourselves, we cleaned up and took the girls to a noon showing of Kung Fu Panda at the dollar theater.  The girls loved it and so did we.  They always feel like such grown ups getting to sit in the seats all by themselves eating bags of popcorn.  Just wait until we actually pay for them to go to a "real theater!"  Ha!  

As we left the theater we decided to take them to a local park to play and run off some energy after sitting for awhile during the movie.  We had fun, but it was incredibly hot and their little faces were beet red in a matter of minutes. Inspired by our movie we did manage to try out our kung fu moves on each other.  The girls thought it was hilarious, but I'm pretty sure I looked like a moron to anyone looking on from a distance.  

The late afternoon hours were spent at home having a "family reading time" in the living room.  The girls brought in a big pile of books from their room to play "library", a favorite game of theirs, while I settled in on the couch with my book and Mike alternately worked on his laptop and flipped through a magazine.  The girls meanwhile took turns as one "checked out" her book selections and the other (the librarian) stamped the books.  We have a very old fashioned library at our house where we stamp the books instead of scan their barcodes.  I'm currently searching for an old card catalog box and am preparing lessons on the Dewey Decimal system.  

After a dinner of leftover pizza from Friday night, the girls were bathed and put to bed without much fuss.  A storm eventually moved in bringing a beautiful cloudy grey sky and a fantastic lightning display.  Oh and the thunder to go with it was great!  Growing up in Oklahoma I've learned to love the sounds of an approaching storm.  Especially when I know it's not a dangerous one.  The power flickered a few times, so I lit a candle in the kitchen, then settled down in our big comfy chair to finish my book, The Namesake.  I ended up finishing it around 11:00 only breaking to bake a tray of chocolate chip cookies. Yum.  

I love simple days like this.  Just Mike, my girls and the day ahead.  This morning on the way to church, Hannah said, "Mama, we had a fun day yesterday?" her voice lifting at the end as if it was a question instead of a statement.  I replied, "Yep.  We sure did have a fun day."  

1 comment:

Jenn said...

These kinds of days are so refreshing, aren't they? So glad you had one!