Monday, September 28, 2009

Shot Day


My little guy went to the doctor today for his two month check up which included three shots and one oral vaccine. And I actually showed up for his appointment on the right day! Oh, did I forget to tell you that story? Well, last Monday I hurried around and got Lucas to his pediatrician precisely at 10:30. Picture me pushing a stroller and armed with my purse and a diaper bag while also juggling my car keys, sunglasses, etc. I was the epitome of harried mom. BUT, I made it on time. I signed my boy in, then took my seat feeling pretty proud of my timely accomplishment. A few minutes later the receptionist called me up to the glass window and said, "Mrs. Galloway, Lucas has an appointment next Monday at 10:30, not today." I think the lack of sleep over the last two months has officially affected my brain.

Fast forward one week and once again, I arrived at the doctor's office on time. Miracle! This time, they were ready for us. First the nurse weighed him (11 lb. 9 oz) and measured him (22 inches). Then we waited for the doctor to arrive. I love our pediatrician. In fact, she was my pediatrician when I was little, so she knows us well. She looked our boy over, I asked my usual list of questions, then the dreaded moment arrived. The nurse walked in holding three needles ready to poke into my sweet boy's chubby little thighs. I held Lucas' hands down and proceded to talk to him in a hushed motherly tone when he felt the first prick. His face instantly squished up into a terrible frown and a loud wail shortly followed. Two more quick pokes and he was done. It was over in a matter of seconds, but I certainly felt bad for him. He doesn't understand the shots are necessary. He doesn't understand what polio or pertussis could do to him. Thankfully, he settled down quickly and we headed home where I snuggled up with him and took a nice long nap together. There's nothing like the steady, rhythmic breathing of a cute baby to lull you into dreamland.
PS-- Book Recommendation: Small Steps by Peg Kehret. This book is the author's own story of her battle with Polio. It is shocking, sad and yet heartwarming. And it gives you a great reminder on why we vaccinate our kids against such a horrible disease. You can find this book in the young adult section. I used to read it out loud to my class every year and they always loved it.

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

So sorry for Lucas - Small Steps is a great book - I had an uncle who survived polio as well as a college friend - who contracted it as a baby before all her shots were complete...

affectioknit said...

Hi Emily,

You're a winner over at Affectioknit...

Anonymous said...

aww...poor baby. :( My grandmother was one of the first children to receive the polio vaccine. She contracted polio before they really knew what it was and would have been in a wheelchair for the rest of her life had it not been for the vaccine. Important stuff, that nasty shot.