Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Siblings


I realized the other day that none of my kids will ever remember a time in their lives without having a sibling there with them. Since I had my twins first, I never got to experience life with just one baby. As an only child, the whole idea of having siblings is new territory to me. I am grateful that they will always have someone to play with and someone to share secrets with. And although they don't realize it now, they will be really thankful for each other as adults. Hopefully they will live close enough to each other that their kids can all play together too. Now sometimes all this wonderful "togetherness" leads to arguments and hurt feelings. Take this morning, for example: the girls were in a huge, screaming argument over who would sit in which car seat on the way to school. Silly, I know. But it was a big deal to them. We eventually worked it out (not before I thought I might lose my mind, however!) and we made it to school on time. But, even though the girls fight sometimes, they do spend the majority of their day playing together and enjoying each other's company.
I try to reinforce to them how special it is to have not only a sister, but a twin sister! And that in our family, we respect each other and love each other no matter what. It's a learning process for me. I sometimes have to ask Mike, "Did you fight with your brother and sister like this?" But I'm slowly figuring this sibling thing out. And I can't wait to see how Lucas fits into the mix as he gets older.

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I would often argue with my middle brother (I'm 12 years older than my youngest-we never fought), but now we are very close friends. WE talk on the phone every couple of days. I looove having siblings.

Anonymous said...

Mandi and I are 19 months apart. We fought a lot. Sometimes screaming and locking each other out of rooms but it never stuck. No matter what we always loved each other. We spent every Christmas eve that I can remember in the same bed (until I got married). We are still best friends. I fought some with my brother but really he was pretty indifferent to his sisters. He was content to stay away from all of the girliness