Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sick Girl


I've been taking care of a sick girl for the last few days. Hannah has been feeling pretty puny. She woke me up at 4:30 Monday morning by calmly telling me, "I'm going to throw up." I had just enough time to grab our "puke bucket" before she completely emptied the contents of her stomach. For the last 48 hours that poor girl hasn't been able to keep much down unfortunately. I finally took her to the doctor this morning to get a flu test, but it was negative. So we're home resting again. There's been lots of tv/movie watching, book reading, snuggling, popsicles and back scratching going on. In addition, there's been lots of Lysol spraying, toilet cleaning, and hand washing going on too. I've been sort of a maniac about hand washing so that no one else in our family ends up sick too. So far the rest of us are in the clear!

I remember the way my mom would take care of me when I was sick as a little girl. She was always so attentive. She would set me up on the couch with my pillow and favorite afghan to cover up with. She would read me stories, play a game with me and let me watch cartoons. She would let me rest my head in her lap while she gently scratched my back (my favorite thing even today). And she would always make my favorite smoothie drink. It consisted of blending up vanilla ice cream and cranberry juice, then scooping it into a tall glass and adding ginger ale to make it frothy and bubbly and pink. It always tasted so good.

So now when my own kids are sick, I try to give them the same special care that my mom gave me.

What kinds of things did your parents do for you when you were sick? Or what special things do you do for your own children when they are under the weather?

4 comments:

affectioknit said...

I know what you mean - it's funny to have such fond memories of being sick...

....My favorite thing was listening to old records - I'd put a stack on the record player and listend to PP&M and the Sound of Music...then I'd settle back on my couch bed and watch Bewitched - something I only remember doing when I was sick...

I hope your little one feels much better soon!

Anonymous said...

My mom was always really sweet when I was sick. She was good at taking care of sick kids, too. My favorite part, though, was that when I stayed home from school, my grandpa took care of me. He would make me lunch and when I got older, he would stop by during his coffee break and bring me an ice cream sundae. I still miss those days, sometimes.

Anonymous said...

My dad actually was very often the one to take care of us when we were sick. He had a more flexible job (once we were in school). I remember getting sprite, orange juice, and saltine crackers. We were allowed to watch as much tv as we wanted, which usually wasn't much because all you wanted to do was sleep. My dad would make toast with cinnamon and sugar when we felt like we could eat. When my mom got home she would always start a warm bath so we could get cleaned up.
I hope hannah feels better soon!

Emily said...

It is interesting to look back on being sick with fond memories. Thanks for sharing!!