Saturday, September 26, 2009

Autumn Walk

Yesterday was a perfect fall day. The girls and I spent the morning playing, reading books and making a collage. Then, late in the afternoon, we decided to meet up with my dad ("Papa" as he's affectionately called) at a park to play and take a walk. The weather was beautiful and the sky was bright blue as we spent nearly two hours enjoying the outdoors together. Here are some pics of our day-- and get ready for quite a few as I went a little camera crazy.

Lucas was wide awake and happy as we arrived at the park. He is always curious about his surroundings, so he enjoyed looking around.
I love to look up and see sunlight streaming through the leaves. In Oklahoma, the leaves haven't really turned any colors yet. And even when they do, it is usually a short lived event. Oh well, I'll still take a tree full of bright green leaves any day.

Not only do I love looking up at the sunlight, but I enjoy looking down at the neat shadows it creates as well.

Leah on the tire swing.
Hannah in the sun

Rolling down the hill

I wonder what she's thinking about?

Starting our walk. Leah used her stick to point out which paths we should take because she said it looked like the tip of an arrow.

Exploring a soggy riverbed

Sweet Leah in Mommy's shades

We found lots of grasshoppers. My girls are not afraid to pick things up to get a better look.

We also spotted lots of deer tracks. If we had been walking the trails at twilight, I'm sure we would have seen a few.
The girls thought this patch of goldenrod was very pretty. And I agreed.

Leah went in to check out the flowers, but quickly came out as she spotted all the bees flying around. Apparently they thought the goldenrod was quite nice as well!

As we neared the end of our walk, I looked down to see Lucas sleeping soundly. I think if I were being pushed in a comfortable stroller, listening to the words and giggles of my two big sisters and letting the sun gently warm my skin, I would fall asleep too.

In the end, we came home sweaty and tired, but full of fresh air in our lungs and a perfect autumn memory.
What are you doing to enjoy the change of seasons?

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

What a nice afternoon - I used to love rolling down hills until I got dizzy when I was little...

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I love autumn with the changes of the leaves, smells, change of weather. It is absolutely wonderful! :D Beautiful pictures!

Maria Rose said...

Sounds like a perfect afternoon. Boy,he sure is growing...as are your girls!