Thursday, May 28, 2009

Where I've Been:: Part 3

Part 3: Graham, TX

Here's a little something you may not know:

Even though most of my extended family lives in Oklahoma, and even though I've lived here for the last 22 years, and even though I'm a die-hard Sooners fan..... I was actually born in Texas. For those of you who don't know, Texas and Oklahoma share more than a border-- they share a passion for not liking each other. Especially when college sports are involved. But I spent the first ten years of my life in a small Texas town and I loved every minute of it. Those years were spent playing dolls with my friend Shauna, riding my bike to the pool, watching movies at the drive-in, and exploring the countryside with my parents. In my memory, the town of Graham, TX lives on idyllic bliss.

Since meeting Mike some thirteen years ago, I have told him stories of my childhood in Graham. And for thirteen years I've wanted to drive the four hours south to highway 16, and take Mike on a tour of my past. And this past weekend, we finally did it. After packing up our campsite Saturday morning, we hit the road. From Lawton, we headed south crossing the border into Texas in about an hour. We continued south through Wichita Falls, Scotland and Windthorst, until we saw the sign pointing us to Graham. Thirty minutes later we were there and my eyes just couldn't take it all in. It was like memory overload. We drove all over the place and I pointed out all the things I remembered, telling multiple stories along the way. My old house, my friend Shauna's house, the elementary school, the downtown square, First Baptist Church, the high school football field, good old Dairy King and K&N.
Finally, we checked into a hotel, then decided to take the girls bowling for the first time. We went to the old Steer Bowl and watched the girls try rolling the ball down the lane-- each time was a thrill, gutterball or not. Later we went back to the hotel to swim. And after that, we ventured out for dinner. It rained after that, so our plans of going to my favorite childhood park got squashed, and it as okay because we were all four asleep by 9:30 that night! I think our camping trip caught up to us.

After a leisurely breakfast Sunday morning, we drove back to Oklahoma City. It may not have been Disney World, but it was a fabulous little vacation.

Leah showing off her muscles at Dairy King.

The Drive-in theater. The first movie I saw here was Flight of the Navigator.

Leah showing off her bowling shoes. Poor girl didn't have any clean socks, so she had to wear mine. What a trooper.
Hannah ready to bowl!

Leah after hitting her first few pins!

The water was a bit chilly, but they all bravely got in.

Leah in the water.

A late afternoon stroll through downtown ended at the gazebo in the middle of the town square.

Where are some of your favortie places to vacation or travel to?

3 comments:

Maria Rose said...

What a lovely trip! Is the drive in still showing movies?

Anonymous said...

That looks like a fun trip! It's funny you mentioned "Flight of the Navigator"--I just read that they are re-making that movie! You should go see the re-make at that drive-in theatre.

Emily said...

Yep, the drive-in is open during the summer only. I think we have one around where we live now, so we should check it out.