Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sugar

It's already Wednesday! Oh my the week is flying! We have sunshine today after ten straight days of rain, so I feel like dancing a little jig. Even though it is supposed to rain again this weekend, I'm happy to have such nice weather right now. Open windows here we come....

So I'm 27 weeks pregnant now and craving two things still: fruit and chocolate. Both of which are high in sugar. I had my basic one hour glucose tolerance test at my doctor's office two weeks ago, and I was informed that my results were "slightly elevated". So Monday I went to a local hospital lab to do the dreaded three hour glucose tolerance test. It went a little like this: no eating after midnight (check), show up at 8:00 with an empty stomach (check), have blood drawn right away (ouch, but check), drink a bottle of super-sweet orange flavored drink (gross, but check), then wait until 11:00 having blood drawn every hour on the hour (double ouch, but check). By the end of the ordeal I had sore arms from being poked four times, but more than anything I was HUNGRY! Don't they know that depriving a pregnant lady of food is like depriving a mama bear of her cubs! Ok, it's not that bad, but my stomach was sure rumbling loudly in protest. Thankfully my mom and I went out to lunch afterwards and I filled it back up quickly.

I came prepared with things to do while I waited for three hours: my book, paper for grocery list making, and my Bible study to work on.

I finished up my lesson pretty quick. Then I moved on to the other things in my bag 'o goodies.

Me around 9:30. I'm giving the thumbs up sign (though my thumb got cut off in the picture) showing that I'm hanging in there. It really wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be.
I won't know the results of this last test for another week or so, but hopefully my sugar is under control. Maybe I should cut back on the amount of chocolate chip cookies I'm eating in a week???

4 comments:

Mocha Mama 24 said...

I CAN'T stand that orange stuff. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. Hope everything comes back ok. I had to do the 3 hour a few times because of all the high fluid I had. The whole fasting and then waiting 3 hours is a huge mental thing too, isn't it? Oh what I wouldn't give for 3 hours of silence today!!

Maria Rose said...

Oh no. Don't scare me! I don't think I could cut back on the pregnancy sugar addiction I have formed. Hope your results are good!

Emily said...

Update: Results from my test are normal! I can continue eating all my favorite sweets, so there is peace in the land again.

Heather@WoolandFlax said...

I'm glad your results were normal. It's no fun to be on a diet when you're pregnant. I agree with Mocha Mama that a three-hour break would be so nice (minus the starving you and poking you). They really need to have a quiet room with a bed and a soft pillow so you can take a nap. :-)