Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Where I've Been:: Part 1

Oh my, are you all still out there? It's been over a week since I last blogged-- shame on me! These last two weeks have been packed with activities and I am finally coming out of this busy time into a season of rest. Ahhhh....I knew May was going to be crazy. It was fun, but I'm ready for a slower, summer pace. To fill you all in what we've been up to, I'm going to break this into three parts.

Part One: May 16th, Ballet recital

Shortly after the last time I blogged, we had our girls first ballet recital. Really, I should say tap recital because they actually performed a tap dance, not a ballet routine. Throughout the year, the girls have been taking a one hour dance class: thirty minutes of ballet, thirty minutes of tap. Their teacher chose tap for the recital dance and put together a cute routine to the song "Thank Heaven for Little Girls."
I would like to think I have a deep amount of knowledge about dance because I was a dancer for many years. Not a good dancer, but an okay dancer. I started off taking ballet, tap, and jazz (as it was called in the day), but around 8th grade, I focused in on ballet only. I even took ballet as an adult. In fact, the last year I danced was the year I was pregnant with the girls. So with all of this being said, I thought getting two four year olds ready for a recital would be no problem.
Wrong.
First problem. The girls hair was supposed to be curled. Uhhh....I'm the mom who can't really do hair. Ponytails are about the extent of my hair abilities. So after experimenting with curling irons and bobby pins, a friend finally reminded me about sponge rollers. And to my delight, they worked!
Here's the proof:

Curlers in. Girls ready to go to bed.

Voila! Hannah's hair the next morning. Leah's looked just as pretty and curly, but I'll spare you a repeditive picture.

Next came make-up. I don't wear a whole lot of make-up and am no expert at applying it. But I could manage blush, a dusting of shimmery eye shadow, and some lipstick.

Sweet Hannah

Lovely Leah


One thing I did learn is that I could never be a pagent mom. Not that I want to be. Moving on....

Finally it was time to go. The big day had arrived. The girls looked beautiful, but more importantly they felt special. They had been working hard to learn their dance and were so proud of themselves after they got on the big stage and performed their routine well. I admit I teared up as I watched them up there. They looked so independent and grown up. And I know that the clock is ticking down the days of being a family of four. I think I feel a sense of urgency to make these last few months really special for them. Their lives will be changing more than they can grasp right now. In good ways, though. I just want them to know how much we enjoy being their parents, and how much we will always love them.


Backstage and ready to go!

After the show. They are holding the flowers my parents brought them.

Our wonderful family of four. Plus one in utero.



2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

that is a GREAT family picture! love it! you look beautiful!

Maria Rose said...

Those girls are so beautiful! Sounds like it was a great show.