Saturday, May 30, 2009

Kiss

I finally finished reading another book. It was entiteld Kiss, by Ted Dekker. I seem to go through seasons where I read like crazy and then other seasons where I can hardly finish a book in six months. These last few months were like the latter scenario. I enjoyed the book I was reading, but I either didn't have the time to read or if I did I fell asleep after two pages. Overall it was a good book though. It was slightly over-the-top, but I think I had been reading so many memoirs and non-fiction that I had to adjust back into a good action/thriller/suspense novel. In the book, the main character (named Shauna) is the daughter of a popular presidential candidate. When she and her reporter boyfriend catch wind of a money laundering scheme smack dab in the middle one of her father's companies, a plan is put into place to take her out. The plan fails, and after Shauna wakes up from a drug induced coma, she realizes that she has suffered a significant amount of memory loss. Not sure of who to trust, she slowly recovers and tries to piece her life back together. In addition (here's the over-the-top part), she discovers that she has the ability to "steal" other people's memories through a kiss. By "secuding" certain people and kissing them, she attempts to gather enough memories to put her own life back together and to stay alive! This book would totally make a good action movie with lots of crazy stunts, explosions, and car chases scenes. It was good brain candy and an easy read.

If it sounds like something up your alley, you can also check out these other books by Ted Dekker. He's written a ton of books, but these are the other ones that I've read (in order of my favorite to least favorite).

Three
Obsessed
Blink
Showdown

After I finish one book, I do get a little giddy looking at my stack of "what to read next" books. It's like picking out a delicious pastry from my favorite bakery. What do I want to read first? I decided on another non-fiction story about an Arab and a Jew forming an unlikely friendship that spans several decades and survives several wars. It's called The Lemon Tree, by Sandy Tolan. I'll update on that when I finish it. Hopefully not six months from now!

2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

so pumped about The Lemon Tree! went to the lake this weekend and juuuust about finished Very Valentine. review to come soon. :)

Maria Rose said...

I just finished my most recent read last night and I've already started on my new one. Thanks for the recommendations.