Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bikes, Turtles, and Ice Cream

If I made a list of things enjoyed on a typical childhood summer evening, it might look like this:

1. Bike riding
2. Ice Cream
3. Finding "Critters" (like frogs, turtles, etc)
4. Laughing
5. Firing up the Grill for Dinner

Amazingly, all five of those things occured last night here and it was just about perfect. When Mike got home we grilled hot dogs for dinner, then quickly got our shoes on and headed outside to enjoy the girls' new favorite activity: Bike riding!! They had outgrown their tricycles, so on Monday night we took them to buy "big girl bikes" complete with training wheels, pink sparkles, and a bell. The girls rode their bikes as Mike and I brought some folding chairs out to the driveway to sit and relax and talk. A storm moved in creating some amazing clouds and distant lightning. Mike grabbed his camera and got some awesome pictures. Eventually an ice cream truck drove down our street with it's cheerful (yet annoying) tune blasting from a top speaker. I ran in, grabbed some cash, and we all enjoyed a little ice cream for dessert.

Later we discovered a sweet little turtle, who was obviously lost, crawling around on our front porch. It is just about the size of a half-dollar coin and so cute. The girls instantly declared her our new pet and christened her "Susan the Turtle." Susan has been given a good temporary home, but we plan on taking her to the nature center to drop her off later this afternoon.

So that was our evening....laughing, sitting in the warm night air, watching a storm roll in, listening to the sweet voices of our little girls, seeing their faces marvel over one of God's small creatures, just being a family. It was a little taste of summer during the spring.


Leah on her bike

Hannah on her bike (they are both wearing tights because I took these pics earlier in the day before their ballet class. In case anyone was wondering).


Evening Ice Cream Treats


Susan the Turtle

Storm Clouds


What are some of your favorite summer things?

3 comments:

Callie said...

What fun Emily!! My oldest two love riding their bikes for hours on end right now!! Actually Jake is particularly enjoying his razor scooter. It scares me to death watching him but I try to be tough. They also LOVE playing in the water even though most days they still freeze I think. We found the best toys at Walmart this year. You hook a base up to the garden hose and then push a bucket or watering can onto the base until it fills up when you pull it off the water stops. My kids would go nuts if they found a turtle!! How cool is that?! The storms of Oklahoma...I miss those! Keep enjoying these days!

Anonymous said...

I WAS wondering about their tights--hehe!

I loved reading on summer nights. We would have the windows open and there'd be a little breeze blowing through. I also liked swimming with my sister and my friends at the pool.

--Kristin

Maria Rose said...

My favorite summer things are:
1)Long sunsets
2)Popsicles
3)Bike riding