Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reading

Reading to my kids before bed has been a night time ritual since....well....since I had kids almost nine years ago! On those nights when we're out late and the kids have to go straight to bed, they collapse in tears because there's no time to read (and because they are usually over-tired too). As my girls got older and are now independent readers, most nights I put them in bed about 30 minutes before their "lights out" time so they can lose themselves in a good book, settling their bodies and minds for the evening. I think this is such an important habit to form. Lucas, however, still needs me to read to him, which I love to do. He gets two books before nap time and one before bedtime. And of course, when the girls ask for a book, I usually read to them too. 

Then, the other night, I was busy picking up wet towels off the bathroom floor and brushing Hannah's tender head of wet hair and wiping clumps of toothpaste out of the sink when I peered into Lucas' room and saw this.

Be. Still. My. Heart.
Lucas had picked out "The Goblin Story" from one of his Little Bear books and Leah was happily reading to him. Why had I not thought of this before? Mixing it up a little could be good for everyone involved and could go a long way for developing a strong brother/sister bond. Not only do I want these kids of mine to be lifelong readers, but lifelong friends as well. 

That's right. I'm looking at you, kid.
I let Leah read a few more chapters before putting everyone in their own beds for the night.

I am so thankful to be their mom.

P.S Here's a list of some of our current favorite books.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
The BFG also by Roald Dahl
All the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books by Jeff Kinney
Strega Nona  by Tomie de Paola
All the Frances books by Russell Hoban (especially Bedtime for Frances)
Harry and Horsie by Katie Van Camp (cool illustrations, fyi)
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! So sweet! We do a similar bedtime routine. I love the Little Bear series.

leiamarie82 said...

So sweet. Nothing better in the world!