Friday, July 12, 2013

Easy Meatless Summer Recipe


Mike recently purchased a cookbook for me entitled Meatless: More than 200 of the Very Best Vegetarian Recipes. We have been talking about incorporating more meatless meals into our diet, and it has been fun trying out some of these delicious recipes. One in particular was a big hit for our whole family, and it is a perfect quick and easy weeknight summer meal. I thought I should share it with you all.

Zucchini Patties in Pita Bread

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used one can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed).
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 small red onion, grated
1 large egg, lightly whisked
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 cup olive oil
4 whole wheat pitas
1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
Lettuce (we used a spring mix)
1 cup fresh mint leaves (I left this out because I'm not a huge fan of mint if it is not in gum!)

1. Mash chickpeas in a bowl until smooth (I pulsed mine in a food processor a few times which worked much better). Stir in bread crumbs, zucchini, onion, egg and salt. Form into eight 1/2 inch patties.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute' patties until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

3. To serve, halve pitas and stuff with patties. Top with lettuce, yogurt, and mint.

The outcome was sort of like a falafel, which I love. Very Greek-inspired, light and yummy. My kids opted to eat the patties with a fork, dipping each bite into ketchup. Mike and I thought the sandwiches were delicious. I served them up with chips and some sliced fresh cantaloupe. Done. Simple. No turning the oven on. Easy clean up. That's my kind of meal.


No comments: