Friday, May 17, 2013

The Grapefruit Debate and Other Random Things

Happy Friday, Everyone! I love Fridays. Family Movie Night, pizza for dinner, and going to bed knowing there is no "rush out the door routine" in the morning! Yahoo! In honor of this lovely day of the week, here are my random thoughts on a few things in no particular order. Here we go!

* Grapefruit. Love it or hate it? I have found that people have strong opinions about this fruit. I am in the "Love it" camp. I pretty much love all citrus, but I went through a serious grapefruit phase my freshman year in college. While most freshmen were stocking their dorm room mini-fridges with beer, mine was full of grapefruit juice. I was one wild and crazy girl, I tell ya! I think my craving for the stuff had something to do with a vitamin deficiency in my diet. That year I was pretty much surviving off the cereal bar in the cafeteria. Fruit Loops and Cap'n Crunch do not a well-rounded diet make. Anyway, the best way to eat a grapefruit, however, is the way my mom used to make them for me. I still eat these for breakfast several times a week along with my daily whole wheat toast smeared with heavenly Nutella. Simply cut a grapefruit in half, then run a knife around each segment to loosen them up. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar (or a lot if you are feeling naughty). Place it in a bowl, then pop it in a microwave and nuke for 45 seconds. My method of attack is to spoon out each segment, then squeeze the warm juice into the bowl and drink it up. Yum. If you don't like grapefruit, I am sorry you just spend three minutes of your life reading this paragraph.


This picture makes me laugh. It is a picture of my grapefruit from breakfast this morning. I was trying to be all cool by using my Hipstamatic app on my phone. I realize now that I left the sticker on the darn thing! Haha! So much for being cool!

* Television. Let's discuss a few things here. I don't get to watch much TV around here unless it is My Little Pony or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. However, I recently got hooked on a fabulous BBC series on Netflix. The BBC gave me Downton Abbey, and I didn't think anything could top that. And it still hasn't, but this show I'm about to mention is a close second to Downton for me. It's called Call the Midwife. The series is based off of the real life memoirs of Jennifer Worth, a nurse and midwife in the East End of London in the late 1950's and early 1960's. This show obviously features many birthing stories, but more than that it captures a beautiful era in history so perfectly. The characters are strong and the little bits of their back stories featured each episode keep you watching for more. I am totally smitten with the show, but Mike just cannot tolerate all the birthing scenes. All the groaning and moaning a little too much for him. Season One is on Netflix, so check it out! There are only six one-hour episodes, so it won't take you too long to finish it.

In a totally different genre, I have discovered a channel that plays reruns of The King of Queens every night from ten to midnight. I think that show is so hilarious, and I have been known to turn it on and get sucked in until I stay up too late. It's my dirty little secret. 

* More Piano News! This morning Hannah played in the Oklahoma State Piano Auditions. I took her out of school to drive her down to Oklahoma City University where she played her song in front of a judge once again. She received a score of I (scores range from III to I+). She was so proud of herself and earned a very nice medal to add to her growing collection. Her piano recital is this coming Sunday afternoon which will officially conclude her first year of lessons. 
Hannah Banana showing off her medal

* Chicago. Mike and I are heading off on a vacation to celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary in a few weeks. Did I mention that it will be a vacation ALONE!?!? No children will be flying with us. I can't wait. Our last vacation all by ourselves was in 2007, so we are due. We are just flying in on a Friday and returning on a Monday. Other than gorging ourselves with food, what else should we do while we are there? Anyone want to offer a "must do" suggestion? Mike has been there once and I've never been there. I can't wait!! (I think I've said this twice now).

OK, this now concludes my random Friday post. Have a great weekend!!


No comments: