Friday, June 5, 2009

Swimming Lessons

"Come on, Emily, jump in!" my swimming teacher called out to me.

All the other kids in my class had jumped in without hesitation, but there I stood in my favorite red bathing suit with tiny white polka dots, staring at the water. It was the cold water shock that I was dreading.
"Emily, jump on in!"

With a deep breath, I bent my knees and took the plunge.

I have always loved to swim, but jumping into the cold water was the hardest part of the lesson for me. I guess I've always been more of a take-thirty-minutes-to-ease-into-the-pool kind of girl. This stragegy didn't go over so well during a thirty minute swimming lesson. It was more about jump-in-and-get-started. Eventually, I would swallow my fear and just jump in. And every time (after I got over the initial shock of the cold water) I was fine and would have an enjoyable time. I just had to have a good staring contest with the water first.
My girls started swimming lessons today, and they surprised me. When it came to jumping into the water, they didn't hesitate at all. They were just so excited to swim that they were in the water in a matter of seconds. This seems to be the case with them in any new situation. They jump right in and get started. I am so impressed and proud of them for this. Maybe it's because they always have each other to lean on, but I'd like to think that they are just confident little girls. And I pray that they keep this happy confidence throughout the rest of their lives.


Leah after swimming a short distance all by herself and Hannah returning back to the steps after her swim as well.

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

I am a jump in kind of girl myself. I think the world needs both types to run well!

Mocha Mama 24 said...

Looks like a nice pool! I like to jump in and get the coldness over with.