Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Doctor Visit

At my last doctor's appointment, I decided to take the girls with me and let them hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. Beforehand we had a big talk about appropriate behavior (no running, screaming, etc) and we reviewed our polite manners (like saying please and thank you). I was a little nervous because there is always a bit of waiting involved, and little four year old hands are so curious about everything. At one point Hannah picked up a model of how a vaginal birth control ring insert works. She asked, "What's this?" So I had to just say something quick like, "Oh that's just something for the doctor, please put that down." Really, they behaved very well. And when the doctor put the doplar on my belly and the comforting whoosh, whoosh, whoosh of the baby's heartbeat filled the room, the girls got really quiet. When I looked over at them, they both had huge smiles on their faces. I'm so glad they got to come with me. They are going to be such great big sisters.


Future Big Sisters: waiting in the doctor's office

3 comments:

Maria Rose said...

How wonderful! It's neat that they recognize how wonderful it is to hear that strong heartbeat. Don't you wish the doctor would leave the room for 5-10 minutes so you could just listen and be thankful?

Jenn said...

What a neat, neat experience!

Callie said...

Listening to the heartbeat is always so wonderful! The last 10 weeks of my pregnancies I always had to have many many non-stress tests and while there was always some anxiety involved I loved being in the room just listening to the heartbeat and waiting for my baby to kick it was always a good 20 to 30 minutes as long as the little one was cooperating!
And oh the questions I answered from Maddie when we had Isaac!! She was a curious 6 year old at the time and definately kept me on my toes coming up with honest yet information that was on a "need to know basis!" :) Enjoy your time left!!